Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Today in First Amendment News

I actually have a lot to say today but unfortunately, I have no time to say it. I'll just leave you with this that is making its way around the intertubes this morning. ACLU-TN has filed a suit against Sumner County Board of Education for violations of the Establishment clause. The ACLU has filed on behalf of four families who allege the following:

Teachers displaying crosses in classrooms

The dissemination of Gideon bibles during the school day

Prayers being broadcast over the loudspeaker

Allowing youth ministers to come in during lunch hours to eat with students and discuss his church's activities.

Student musical programs where the majority of music sung by children were hymnal/gospel in nature

The Sumner county school board has said that "We are aware of the allegations and we are prepared to defend the allegations,” said attorney Wesley Southerland with the American Center for Law and Justice, hired by the school district last week. We are taking all precautions to make sure the school system is solely proceeding in a manner consistent with the Constitution.”

If these allegations are true, I hope that the Sumner County Schools gets their asses handed to them and are writing a rather large check at the end of the day. More importantly, I hope that these allegations are not true. Somehow, I don't think that I will get my wish in that regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment